Wednesday, June 06, 2007

Just blocking and tackling

Bill Mullahy, a friend of mine who is no longer with us, used to say that business was all about blocking and tackling. I suspect that Todd Bradley, who runs H-P's PC business, would agree with Bill. There was an excellent article in Monday's Wall Street Journal about Bradley's turnaround of H-P's PC division. I hope you can read it.

Bradley was able to increase H-P's market share and profit margin by focusing on the basics. Like who is the customer, what does the customer want, how can I reach him and convince him of the value he can find in my product, what do I have to do to make sure I can deliver, how do I monitor my customer deliveries. It's a fascinating article that I'm sure will become part of a case study at graduate business schools.

No comments: