Saturday, June 23, 2007

Okay, I don't understand today's parents

Now they are paying consultants to help them come up with a name for their child. Some have paid as much as $475. It's a far cry from my days of helping name my kids. I think Catherine and I bought a book of names and spent a couple of hours deciding on a name. Now, some parents spend a lot more time than a few hours. It's all part of the idea that somehow the externalities are as important (or maybe more important) than who your kid really becomes. Some look on the task of giving their child a name as being akin to developing a brand.

Yes, your name does have some influence over you, but the influence is almost non-existent. I hated mine, but if my dislike of my name affected my life in any way I would be absolutely amazed.

No comments: