Thursday, April 21, 2011

Holy Thursday

In the Roman Catholic Church this week is the most important. It began with Palm Sunday which commemorates Jesus' triumphal march into Jerusalem. Today is what Catholics call Holy Thursday and Protestants call Maundy Thursday. Today we remember the Last Supper at which Jesus washed the feet of his disciples.

The previous paragraph should indicate to you that I was raised Roman Catholic and, for those who read this blog, this was in the 20th century and much water has passed under the bridge. I am no longer a Roman Catholic. My children have little knowledge of the Catholic religion and my grandchildren have none. No matter, the Church was a big factor in my youth.

In the East Cambridge in which I grew up, this was a special week. Today, Holy Thursday, we made the "Seven Churches". I never knew the origin of either the term or the practice but, thanks to the web, I've learned that the term refers to the seven churches mentioned in the Book of Revelation. What we practiced on this day was a visit to seven churches, at each of which we would pray. When I was a young lad, I could not roam far from home, so we visited 3 churches a total of seven times. As I grew older and could roam as far as Inman Square, I was able to visit seven unique churches, for the lower middle class section where we lived was predominately Catholic and there was a church for every nationality.

Those days are long gone. Whether anybody still visits seven churches I know not. But the practice - and the week - was an important part of my childhood.

No comments: