Thursday, April 21, 2011

Somethings to Think About Libya and Related Follies

Adam Martin in Aid Watch has some quite interesting thoughts about our work in Libya:

I wish I knew why, this time, we should expect foreign intervention to succeed at regime change. But I don’t.

I wish I knew why, this time, we should expect foreign intervention to bring democracy. But I don’t.

I wish I knew why, this time, we should expect foreign intervention to save more lives than it costs. But I don’t.

I wish I knew why, this time, we should expect foreign leaders to know what’s best for Libyans. But I don’t.

I wish I knew why, this time, we should expect we’re not training and supporting thugs. But I don’t.

I wish I knew why, this time, we should expect we won’t inspire future outrage and violence. But I don’t.

I wish I knew why, this time, the long history of disastrous foreign military intervention will find an exception. But I don’t.

I wish I knew why, this time, procedural safeguards on grave decisions are not important. But I don’t.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

If there is a spark of hope in this Libya situation, it's that the UN was virtually unanimous in voting for the protection of civilians. My worry is that individual nations (France, the UK, or US) may take escalation into their own hands to bring Gaddafi down.
The news today, that Obama has authorized the deployment of armed drones over Libya - given their track record in Pakistan - does not inspire me with optimism.