Monday, June 20, 2011

Sunday on the Brain

Yesterday, my brain received input about the brain from two sources: 60 Minutes and The Atlantic.



The 60 Minutes episode told me about brains that seem to have superhuman powers of recall. Leslie Stahl interviewed six people, each of whom is capable of recalling everything - and I mean everything - that has happened to them since their youth. I have trouble remembering what I watched on television last night. These people could tell you what they watched on April 13, 1983. Fantastic! But what effect does it have on their lives - I'd think a lot - or the lives of most of us - I'd say very little?

The Atantic article, "The Brain on Trial", was written by David Eagleman, a neuroscientist at Baylor. He argues that our legal system should consider the condition of the brain of those on trial. He believes that, if we did, we would find cases where someone is really fundamentally not responsible for the crime of which he is accused.

Eagleman bases his case primarily on situations where the brain has developed a tumor, has lost tissue in its frontal and temporal lobes or has been subjected to drugs which disrupt its balance. These situations are usually relieved when the tumor is removed or the drug replaced; there is nothing to be done for loss of tissue. He does have a point. I think as brain research moves along in the 21st century we will likely adopt his point of view.

No comments: