Friday, August 19, 2005

Shades of Gray

It's seldom that something is all white or all black. So it is for me with dance and Morgan Stanley.

I am not a fan of dance, particularly ballet. But, in support of Habitat for Humanity here on the Vineyard - yes, there is a crying need for affordable housing on Martha's Vineyard -, I went to a performance of Lorraine Graves and Friends last night. The company is made up primarily of principal dancers from the Dance Theatre of Harlem. In short, they were fantastic. How they made some moves I'll never know. One of my friends, a physical therapist, was almost convinced that the human body could not move that way. The best part was the variety, the music varied from Dvorak to James Brown.

Over the past several months I've written a few negative articles on Morgan Stanley as run by Purcell. While my articles were, I feel, more than validated, I have to acknowledge that this dance performance was underwritten in large measure by Morgan Stanley. It was the first time a major Wall Street firm had unwritten the arts on the Vineyard. Kudos to Morgan Stanley for their generosity.

1 comment:

R J Adams said...

Tax deductible? He wondered cynically.