Saturday, August 09, 2008

Connecticut: a Religious State?

Many years ago I drove frequently to Waterbury. I would always tell myself that one of these days I should visit the Holy Land, a replica in miniature of Jerusalem and environs that a local devout Catholic had built near Waterbury. I never made it there as I was too busy in Waterbury and too anxious to get home.

Last week I was at the Litchfield Jazz Festival and was surprised to learn from the program that a Catholic shrine had been reproduced in Connecticut. A replica of the grotto at Lourdes is open from May to October. There is even a web site.

I have a feeling that there is a third shrine in the state, again near Waterbury.

Are people in Connecticut more religious than the residents of other Northeastern states?

No comments: