Sunday, March 13, 2011

The Changing Times

That's the New York Times. Earlier this year they decided to present the current standings in the world of book selling: what was #1 in e-books, in softcover, in fiction, etc. There were four or more pages filled with this stuff and, of course, ads. Do I care about best sellers? I don't think so.

Last week they unveiled a new version of the Sunday Magazine. The major change seemed to be to move it towards more photos and fewer words. Do I want more photos? I don't think so.

Today Frank Rich announced his move to New York magazine. He did praise the Times fulsomely. But his was the one Sunday column I always read. Friedman? No. Dowd? Sometimes. The periodic graphics? I can't understand most of them.

Things change. Sometimes for the better. Sometimes for the worse. To me the changes at the Times are for the worse.

No comments: