Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Finding Reliable Information About Fukushima

It's not easy finding information that appears reliable and is not clouded in an excess of verbiage or 'gee whiz' graphics. Pro Publica has compiled a reading list that covers various angles of the tragedy

One recommendation is The Guardian, which has a simple chart that shows the
status of all the reactors. It's a Flash file so I can't reproduce it here. But I can summarize it:
Reactor 1 - Partial core meltdown
Reactor 2 - Potential meltdown feared
Reactor 3 - Blast, fire, radiation leak
Reactor 4 - Fire; water levels dropping
Reactor 5 - Heat rising in spent fuel pool
Reactor 6 - Heat rising in spent fuel pool.
While I have tried to follow the situation, I must confess that I did not know that there were six reactors at risk. There is a lot more I don't know, but there seems to be more news about the nuclear industry than the efforts being made to help those whose life is at risk.

No comments: