Monday, January 09, 2012

Jacques Brel didn't always get it right

I love "Jacques Brel is Alive and Well and Living in Paris". Brel really was able to express a lot of things I have thought. But now that I am old, I find myself questioning just how well he understood old age. "Old Folks" is a wonderful song, but it does not represent much that I have experienced in my old age. Nor does it seem as though it captures the lives of my fellow Duncaster residents.

As you look at the following video (which I am listening to as I write this), think about my opinions about aging and where I am at today. First of all, the tempo is not what I have experienced in my senescence. Life moves faster than the song. I still dream. I still read. I move more than I ever have. I still go out, I wish arm in arm. I know I'm on the down track. I miss my wife terribly, but life does go on. 

Being old is not the end of everything as long as you're reasonably healthy and your mind is still active.


1 comment:

R J Adams said...

How could he get it right? He died when only forty-nine. I believe you have to live old age to know old age.