Friday, May 11, 2012

Beer points the way?

I'm not much of a beer drinker, but, since one of my sons works for Allagash Brewing, I do tend to read articles about beer that catch my eye.  So, naturally I had to read "Can Beer Save America?" by David Sirota.  I thought it would be a satire.  It's actually about the future of our economy.

Sirota hopes that we move away from a macrobrewing economy - high volume, low price, low quality - to a microbrewing economy - low volume, high price, high quality.  He has the numbers in the beer industry to show that macrobrewing is waning, while microbrewing is growing.  He asks. "Will we be a country of high volume and low quality? Or can we become an economy of quality and price premium? Whether it’s drinking, buying computers or choosing what industrial policy to support, we are in the process of answering those questions".

Sirota relates the macrobrewing economy to that of China, which he thinks will always have lower costs and lower quality products.  Germany is the archetype for the microbrewing economy: high quality, lower volume, higher prices. 

Which type of economy would you rather live in?




No comments: