Saturday, September 03, 2005

Every 560 Days

Now I freely acknowledge that all presidents screw up big time, as do all of we human beings. But, I wonder whether any president has screwed up as much as the incumbent.

There have been three major disasters on his watch: 9/11, Iraq and Katrina. That works out to one every 560 days of Bush's presidency.

I can accept that most other presidents would have been blindsided by 9/11. In hindsight it's easy to criticize the administration. But if you want to take that approach, your criticism has to extend to a couple of administrations prior to this one.

However, Iraq and Katrina can be laid squarely on Bush's doorsrep. I've spoken about the Iraq fiasco enough on this blog, so regular readers know how I feel. And, it seems in the last few days I've been posting about Katrina.

The whole Bush idea about 'starving the beast' of government has been clearly shown to be almost suicidal for this country. The idea of cutting taxes when over 12% of the country is in poverty, the country's deficit is at the highest level ever, we can't properly equip our troops, we can't swiftly move to help our fellow man is more than ludicrous; it is sinful and a crime against all of us.

We can cut the money that might have better protected New Orleans, but we can spend $200,000,000 on assinine abstinence programs. We can promise AIDS monies but only if nations agree with us and support abstinence over all other means of reducing the problem.

When Bush won, I told myself four years can move swiftly. But now I wonder what kind of country we'll have in four years. There are more than 560 days left in his term.

2 comments:

Don Surber said...

You blame a hurricane on Bush. Well, not as bad as the guy who blmed earthquakes on global warming. But really bad.
Earth to AL: Presidents do not cause hurricanes

Al DeVito said...

Stating something occurred during Bush's presidency does not ascribe blame for that event to Bush.

I did not blame Bush for 9/11 nor Katrina. I do fault him and his administration for the disaster that is Iraq and for the extremely poor reaction to Katrina's devastation.