Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Nowhere near as exciting

Today, I experienced the second earthquake of my life. That's physical earthquake I'm talking about. The East Coast, including Connecticut, was hit by a 5.9 quake. I did actually feel the building tremble, others did not. This was a very different experience from my first earthquake. 

That was in 1948 in a small town in Italy. Part of the problem was that this first quake, which, I doubt, came very close to 5.9, happened around 2 a.m. Italy, in those days, was considered a backward nation. The small town of  Tufo was typical of most towns in Southern Italy then. I can still hear the women yelling "terramoda" over and over while also praying to the Lord. There was no physical damage then as there is none here today. But people were frightened; perhaps some thought that God was punishing them.

It was another image of my summer as a little kid in Italy that has stuck with me all of these years. Maybe, I'll share some of these images with you another day.

No comments: