Sunday, August 14, 2011

A Surprise to Me

The Chrystal Cathedral is bankrupt; it filed in October of last year. I can't say that I've followed it very closely. To me it was another one of those mega-churches that became common in the late 20th century. The few times I saw Rev. Schuller he did not seem as fanatical as most of the other religious barons. But, the story seems to be that the church dud not keep up with the changes taking place over the past fifty years in Orange County and in society at large.


There are two bidders for the church, the Roman Catholic diocese of LA and Chapman University. The starting bids exceed $50,000,000. There will be a fair amount of negotiating as the Cathedral does want to stay in business and eventually buy back its property.

I wonder whether there will be any implications for other mega-churches.

No comments: