Friday, October 10, 2008

A New Day

The sun was shining when I woke up today. It looks as though the temperature will be in the high 60s for most of what will be a long weekend, capped by the Columbus Day holiday. We have yet to turn on the heat and the price of oil has dropped from the $140 of a few months ago.

I have no more meetings this week. On Sunday we may go to see the "Barber of Seville", a nice, light interlude in the catastrophe that, eight years in, is an adequate definition of the 21st century; it is calming to know that people are still watching an opera that was written almost 200 years ago. I think my kids - even the day trader - are doing okay.

Yes, I am being selfish. I'm still here and in decent shape. But, I'm old enough to know that everything can change in a second. And things have changed for the worse for many, most of whom deserve better. At the same time things have stayed the same for those mired in poverty, sickness and war.

Let's
hope today is a new day for most of us exploring life.

2 comments:

Flimsy Sanity said...

You will certainly lose her if you decide to be honest.

Dear Ann Landers,
I am writing you with my problem. My wife has custody of our seven children. They were awarded to her when she divorced me for desertion. My mother has been confined to a mental institution for insanity since I was three years old. I have two brothers. One is a day trader and the other is now awaiting electrocution for murder. My two sisters are prostitutes and my father is in the racket of selling drugs.
Recently I met a girl who has been released from prison where she served time for smothering her illigitimate child. I love this girl very much and I want to marry her.
My problem is this: Should I tell her about my brother who is a day trader. Yours truly, Miserable in Montana

Anonymous said...

Who cares about the future? We have no knowledge of what will happen. We could win the lottery, lose our shirt, or be run down by a bus. The 401K's only worth ten cents and Sarah Palin will likely become president by 2010, but by then we could be dead, or living in a $10,000,000 mansion in the Caribbean. The only life we have is now - in this moment. Enjoy!
The "Barber of Seville" sounds just the ticket for a holiday weekend.
PS I shouldn't mention the day trader again, if I were you.