Saturday, July 16, 2011

No Guts

It should not be a surprise that the word is that Mr. Obama will not be appointing Elizabeth Warren to head the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB). Why would he not appoint someone who was born for this role? Did she screw up as head of the TARP Oversight group? Did she not set up the CFPB in time? Is the agency staffed with losers? Is she new to the world of consumer finance?

One of my friends laments the fact that Obama has, in my friend's words, "no experience". I have pointed out the fact that he did work; he was a community organizer, a law professor. I'm starting to agree with my friend, although I would phrase it as "no business experience". He wouldn't last very long in the business world. His negotiating skills are non-existent. His hiring abilities have not been as bad as those of GW; Geithner is the only truly bad hire, but Summers was close behind. Now, he has the perfect person for the job and he won't hire her because the Republicans object. What does this guy really believe? What is he willing to fight for? By appointing Warren he may lose a battle, but he's more likely to win the war.

No comments: